Gluten Free Dutch Baby Pancake
This large, fluffy and tasty pancake is excellent served at breakfast, lunch and makes a fab dessert at any time of the year. Prep is quick and easy and all comes together in just around 5 minutes. You make this lovelies using our Yorkshire pud mix, or the pancake or crepe mixes, however with the latter you must reduce the milk amount to 160gs.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cooking: 25 minutes
For the batter
- 100g Isabel’s Yorkshire pud, or pancake or crepe mixes
- 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil
- 2 large free range egg lightly whisked
- 160g milk or soya milk
- A pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Syrups, honey, compotes, fresh fruits or berries and icing sugar.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (180C fan)/ 400F/ Gas Mark 6.
- Follow the how-to-prepare pack instruction of the Yorkshire pudding mix, but adding the extra oil and nutmeg (optional) and mix all the ingredients together until you have a smooth batter. (Please note: When making this recipe using the pancake or crepe mixes, the amount of milk must reduce to 160g and not 320g as stated on the mixes pack).
- Place the butter or vegetable oil in a heavy 10cm frying pan or a round baking dish and place it in the oven. As soon as the butter has melted (please watch as it does not burn) add the batter to the hot pan and return the pan to the oven as quickly as possible.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the pancake is puffed and golden. Then lower the oven temperature to 150C/ 300F/ Gas Mark 2 and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the pancake from the oven, cut into wedges and serve at once topped fresh fruits, golden syrup, honey or maple syrup and dusted with a good measure of icing sugar.