Isabel’s Best Gluten Free Apple Dessert
A staple for any baking repertoire, simple recipe to make a delicious apple pie that's full of flavour. Serve with your favourite ice-cream or custard.
Serves approx 4-6 portions
Baking time: 25 minutes approx.
Oven temperature: 180ºC
For the Batter
- 100g Isabel’s Yorkshire pudding mix
- 160g Milk
- 2 Large free range egg
- For the filling
- 4 to 6 Cox, Granny Smith or Braeburn apples, peeled, cored and cut into 8-12 wedges
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 100g caster sugar
- 60g butter
- A handful of pecan nuts
- Preheat the oven at 200C.
- Make the batter as directed on the Yorkshire pudding mix pack and set aside until required.
- For the filling, core and peel the apples, then halve and chop them into wedges. Place the apples in a large bowl and cover them with the lemon juice.
- Tip the sugar and butter into a heavy base oven proof frying pan, about 20cm wide, and place over a medium heat until bubbling. Stir the buttery sauce until it separates and the sugar caramelises to a light toffee colour.
- Remove the pan from the heat and arrange the apples in the pan, then cook in the sauce for 6-10 minutes, turning the apples slices over occasionally, until they soft and caramelised. Sprinkle the pecan nuts all over the apples.
- When the apples are almost cooked, pour the batter over the apples, then using oven gloves place the pan in the preheated over.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the pastry golden brown. Sprinkle a little icing sugar on top and serve with cream, ice-cream or custard.