Gluten Free Sweet Pastry
Basic gluten free sweet pastry recipe. It’s easy to adapt if you want to add different flavours such as citrus fruits zest or vanilla.
Prep time: 45 mins
Cooking time: 12-15 minutes
For the pastry
- 150g Isabel’s cassava flour
- 75g Cornflour plus extra for dusting
- 50 g icing sugar
- 125 g unsalted butter, (cold)
- 1 lemon or orange zest, (optional)
- 1 large free-range egg
- 1 splash of milk of substitute
For the filling
- 100g of milk chocolate broken into pieces
- 100g of single cream
- 2 large eggs
- 50g caster sugar
- 250g summer fruits
- Icing sugar to dust
- Mix the flours and icing sugar really well in a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into cubes, then using your fingertips gently work it into the flour and sugar until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs or you can pulse everything in a food processor.
- Finely grate in the lemon or orange zest and mix again.
- Beat the egg with the milk, then add to the flour mixture and gently work it together until it forms a dough.
- Sprinkle a little cornflour over the dough, pat into a flat round about 2.5cm thick, then sprinkle over a little more flour and wrap the dough in clingfilm. Place it into the fridge to rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Take a non-stick 12-hole tartlet baking tray or any other tartlet tins you may have and using a splash of vegetable oil on a piece of kitchen paper, lightly oil the inside.
- Dust a clean surface and a rolling pin with flour, then carefully roll out your pastry until it’s about ½cm thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut small circles on the dough of similar size as the tartlets hole, then carefully place the dough circles over each oiled cavity. Ease the pastry into the tin, making sure you push it into all the sides gently with your fingers.
- Trim off any excess with the biscuit cutter, then pop it into the freezer for 15 minutes whilst you prepare the filling.
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
Preparing the filling:
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan with gently simmering water, make sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Stir the chocolate with a wooden spoon until melted. Take it off the heat and let it cool down a little.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with a whisk until well mixed, and then add the cream and sugar and mix again. Then add the egg mixture to the melted chocolate and mix well until combined.
- Carefully fill the tartlets with the chocolate mixture using a small ladle or a large spoon. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the pastry has risen and is of a light golden colour. Let it cool.
- Remove the tartlets from the baking tray. Place then into cupcakes cases, add 3-4 summer fruits on top of each tartlet and dust with icing sugar.