Gluten Free Sicilian Lemon Bars
The best gluten free lemon bars you'll ever make, quick to prepare - just a lovely treat. Serve at lunch, afternoon tea or at gatherings. No one will ever know they are gluten free.
Baking time: 25 minutes approx.
Oven temperature: 180ºC
For the base
- 175g Isabel’s all-purpose Cassava flour or dough balls Mix.
- 125g butter
- 50g granulate sugar
- Zest of a small lemon
- 1 or 2 tsp water
For the filling
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp Isabel’s all-purpose Cassava flour
- 2 medium eggs lightly beaten
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon finely grated
- Sifted icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325 F/Gars Mark 3. Lightly grease and line a 20 cm/ 8 inch square cake tin with greaseproof or baking paper.
- Rub together the flour, sugar, lemon zest and butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the tsp of water and incorporate, if the mixture is not coming together when you pinch a small amount with your fingers, then add another tsp of water to the mix.
- Place the mixture into the prepare tin, spreading it evenly and press firmly to form a base. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes. The colour of the pastry will a light creamy.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar, tablespoon of the Cassava flour and baking powder. Add the eggs, lemon juice and zest mixing well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the sugar, egg and lemon mixture on top of the prebaked base and return it to the oven to bake for a further 20-25 minutes. Bake until nearly set, but still a bit soft in the centre. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar and cut into squares. Serve cold. Store in the fridge in an airtight container.