Gluten and dairy free chapattis
Makes tasty free from gluten, Soya, wheat, dairy and vegan chapattis and flat breads. Just mix all the ingredients up, roll the dough and cook in minutes. Make them thick, thin, crisp, or soft.
Cook Time: 2-3 minutes per chapatti
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Servings: 8-10 chapatti
For the dough
- 350g Isabel’s Cassava Flour
- 200ml Soya, coconut, almond milk or water (but using milk will add more flavour)
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil or butter
- 100ml Water
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic granules (optional, but nice) or freshly chopped herbs such coriander or chives or the green top of spring onions.
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- A heavy bottom non-stick frying pan or lightly grease a frying pan.
1. Place the flour and the other dried ingredients in medium size pan and stir to combine.
2. Add the milk (if using), water and oil and stir to make a smooth paste, hydrating the flour.
3. Place the pan over medium heat and continue to stir, as the mixture heats up it will form a thick dough. Lower the heat and continue stirring until a ball of dough is formed.
4. Turn out the dough onto a clean surface or chopping board and allow to cool down.
5. When the dough is cool enough to handle, knead it for about 5 minutes to create a pliable dough.
6. Take pieces of the dough large enough to make the chapatti, sprinkle a little of the cassava flour on the dough and on the surface and roll it out with the help of a rolling pin.
7. When you have achieved the desired thickness for your chapatti or flat bread, then lift the dough up carefully and place onto the pre-heated frying pan.
8. Cook for 1-2 minutes each side or until the dough puffs up and has small golden patches or slightly burned areas.
9. Serve straight away. To store, allow the chapattis to cold down and place them in an airtight container.