Sicilian Lemon Bars
These lemon bars are so easy to prepare and a lovely treat. No one will ever know they are gluten free.
Baking time: 25 minutes approx.
Oven temperature: 180ºC
For the base
- 175g Isabel’s wholemeal all-purpose Cassava flour or dough balls Mix.
- 125g butter
- 50g granular sugar
- Zest of a small lemon
- 1 tsp water
For the filling
- 175g sugar or the equivalent sugar substitute
- 1 Tbsp Isabel’s dough balls mix
- 2 medium eggs lightly beaten
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon finely grated
- Sifted icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325 F/Gars Mark 3. Lightly grease and line a 20 cm/ 8 inch square cake tin with greaseproof or baking paper.
- Rub together the flour, sugar, lemon zest and butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the tsp of water if necessary.
- Place the mixture into the prepare tin, spreading it evenly and press firmly to form a base. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes. The colour of the pastry will a light creamy.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar, tablespoon of the all-purpose Cassava flour and baking powder. Add the eggs, lemon juice and zest mixing well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the sugar, egg and lemon mixture on top of the prebaked base and return it to the oven to bake for a further 20-25 minutes. Bake until nearly set, but still a bit soft in the centre. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar and cut into squares. Serve cold. Store in an airtight container.