Gluten Free Pistachios & Parsnips Cake
This lovely cake is light and very easy to make. You'll have to do a little bit more work with having to roast the nuts lightly to add extra wonderful flavour into the cake, but totally worthwhile.
Tin size: 15cm diameter
Baking time: 35 to 45 minutes approx.
Oven temperature: 160ºC fan assisted
- 125g Cassava Flour sifted
- 300g parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 150g Sugar
- 50g brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 125g vegetable oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarb
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- A few drops of vanilla or almond essence or orange blossom or rose water.
- 50g grounded roasted pistachios
- 50g grounded roasted almonds
- For the butter cream
- 140gg butter or dairy free spread
- 280g of icing sugar
- 2 Tbsps. Grounded roasted pistachios and almonds
- 1 tbsp milk or dairy free milk, if required.
- Preheat oven to 180 C (160C fan assisted) Gas Mark 4. Grease and flour a medium size cake tin (20x30cm).
- In a blender or food processor combine the oil, sugar, eggs and chopped parsnips. Blend until smooth.
- Pour parsnip mixture into a bowl and mix in the flour, baking powder. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Let cool, remove from tin and ice.
The cake moulds
Instead of a 20x30cm cake tin, divide the cake mixture between two 23cm (9 in) cake tins. Adjust baking time accordingly, then used your favourite filling to sandwich the cake.