Gluten Free Almond Buns
Tasty little sweet buns, simple recipe to make and full of flavour. Serve for breakfast, afternoon tea or at gatherings.
Baking time: 25 minutes approx.
Oven temperature: 180ºC
- 125g Isabel’s dough balls
- (plus 20g extra)
- 50g ground almond
- 50g butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 7g Isabel’s baking powder
- 1 large size free range eggs
- 30ml water
- For the filling
- Pre-heat the oven at 180ᴼC. and grease a baking sheet.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. Add the butter and rub in using your fingers until it resembles a crumble mix. Then make a well in the middle, add the egg and the water.
- Beat all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon until it forms a soft, but firm enough to handle dough. Add a bit of the extra flour mix if the dough is too soft to handle.
- Grease your hands with vegetable oil and with the help of spoon scoop small amounts of the dough enough to make a bun of approx. 60mm diameter. Place the dough in your hand and gently roll the dough into bun shape. Flatten the middle of the bun and place a piece of the marzipan inside of the dough, folding the sides of the dough inwards to close and reform its round shape.
- Then place each bun onto the prepared baking sheet, making a cross on top of each roll with a wet knife to help prevent it from sticking on the dough. You may need to wash your hand after rolling a few of the buns as it might start to become sticky with dough.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool the bread rolls on a cooling rack and keep on an air tight container (Not that they will last that long!).