Classic Sponge Cake
This classic cake is light easy to make, but does need to get as much air into it as possible, and keep an eye on the variations in your oven heat. Know your oven well and invest in an oven thermometer.
Tin size: 15cm diameter
Baking time: 35 to 45 minutes approx.
Oven temperature: 180ºC
- 125g of softened butter
- 185g of golden caster sugar
- 125g of Isabel’s all-purpose Cassava flours
- 45g ground almonds
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 2 Tbsp of milk
- ½ tsp of vanilla essence/extract
- 3 Large egg yolks
- 3 egg whites whisked until stiff
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF/Gas Mark 4). Grease and line the baking tin with grease proof paper.
- Place the sugar and butter in mixing bowl. Mix together and beat for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Then add the egg yolks one by one and beat until all mixed.
- Stir together the flours and baking powder. Then gradually add the flours to the sugar, butter and yolks mixture. Add the milk and beat well until the milk is fully incorporated to form a lump free batter.
- Place the egg whites in a clean grease free bowl and whisk until stiff, but not dry.
- Add one third of the egg whites to the cake mixture, and carefully fold in the egg white using a balloon whisk or metal spoon, cutting through and turning the mixture until all the egg whites have been incorporated.
- Repeat this process with the remaining egg whites.
Pour the mixture into the prepared greased and lined tin and gently level the top with a spatula.
- Place the cake mixture in the centre of the pre-heated oven for 35 to 45 minutes. Test the cake by inserting a tooth pick at the centre. The cake should be golden brown and feel firm and springy when cooked. Loosen the edges with a palette knife and invert onto a cooling rack.
- Carefully remove the lining paper, turn the cake the right way up and leave until cold..